Biel | Vingelz / Hafen
The remains of an early settlement were discovered in the area of the port of Vingelz, in 1874. The steep northern banks of the Bieler Lake offered very few suitable sites for settlement, compared to the much more level southern shore, and so the site was used over and over again. A palisade made of wooden piles dates to the oldest construction phase, around 2970 BC. After a long hiatus, another two to three villages were constructed on the site between 2825 BC and 2695 BC. The extent and the preservation of the site has been examined by underwater core drilling and prospecting. Although the extent of the site is not very large, it bears several rich archaeological horizons with a stratigraphy of stone, wood, clay and general refuse. The layers quickly thin out toward the deeper waters of the lake.
Late Neolithic; 3100-2600 B.C.
Size of the site 0,6 ha / approx. 1 soccer pitches
Size of the bufferzone 18,4 ha / approx. 26 soccer pitches
Special Features & Highlights
Very well preserved site at Lake Bienne. Important archive for future research.
Survey of the state of conservation by means of submerged prospecting and core drilling. Regular monitoring by the diving team of the Archaeological Service.
Peter J. Suter, Um 2700 v. Chr. Wandel und Kontinuität in den Ufersiedlungen am Bielersee. Ufersiedlungen am Bielersee 8. Bern 2017; 764 S.; CHF 82.–; ISBN 978-3-9524659-4-3.
Beim ADB zu beziehen: email@example.com
Pile Dwellings up close
The site is under water, but can be visited individually from the shore. An information board provides information on site.