Konstanz | Konstanz Hinterhausen
The site was discovered in 1859 on the northern shore of the Bay of Konstanz, andby 1882 it had been broadly mapped. In the 1980’s, the entire expanse of the pile fieldwas recorded by aerial photography and from 2005-2006, it was measured and examined again by the Baden-Württemberg Department of Antiquities and Monuments. The extent of the pile field and the broad spectrum of found artifacts, point to a complex and storied settlement history.
Lake of Constance "Obersee"
Size of the site 4,2 ha / approx. 6 soccer pitches
Size of the bufferzone 4,12 ha / approx. 6 soccer pitches
Special Features & Highlights
Individual artifacts of the “Goldberg III Group” are of special significance, because they point to social and economic relationships with the people of Upper Swabia.
The site is regularly monitored and controlled by the Department of Antiquities and Monuments.
Pile Dwellings up close
The site is not visible
A selection of finds is exhibited in the "Rosgartenmuseum", Konstanz
to the website